Mommy and Daddy love you so very much and we are so blessed God chose us to be your parents. I cannot believe that this time last year, you entered the world and changed our lives forever. One year ago today I kissed your soft skin for the first time and held you close. I promise, I will never let go.
Reagan Finley, your daddy and I pray without ceasing for you. We ask that God draw you close to Him at a young age and that your tiny heart will be full of kindness, love, and compassion. We pray for your friends, your future, your husband, and your in-laws. I know, seems a little extreme, right!? Trust me, you’ll be glad we did. We pray for a longing in your heart only God can fill and passion in your soul that is fueled by the holy spirit. May you be a bright light in this dark world. Too deep for the first birthday!? Nonsense! We will never shy away from truth around you. You have been entrusted to us for only a brief moment and we are called to raise you up, so that we can send you out.
Reagan, you have been a blessing to this home. The laughter, the coos, the first smiles, the tickles, even the tears they are all uniquely you. I am amazed daily at the creativity of our heavenly father that no 2 laughs are alike, isn’t that just awesome! Truly, awesome! You have melted my heart like butter and I only wish I had the power to stop time. These moments are fleeting and I want to cherish each second, burn it into my memory and never forget the feeling of that instance. But, time doesn’t work like that. You keep on growing, keep on learning, and keep on moving. Because I cannot make time stand still I want to capture a few of my favorite moments of your first year of life….here you go:
1. I broke every mom rule, got you out of the house at 2 weeks because mommy NEEDED to get soap. Yes, we made a trip to Target. Don’t worry, you were bundled up, in your carrier, covered so that no one would poke, prod, or peek at the baby. You were a 2 week old champ! Mommy learned quickly that ‘just running to the store’ was a phrase I needed to retire for a little while.
2. I think you went to more Auburn games than most people I know 🙂 PLUS 2 away games (Mississippi State and tailgated at UGA) Thanks for being a great football baby!
3. You were in a commercial that is supposed to air on ESPN and SEC Network fall 2015…Stay Tuned!
4. I loved taking you to the Atlanta aquarium and seeing the wonderment in your 6 month old eyes. So young, yet so mesmerized.
5. All of our trips: You went to Texas (first flight! You did great!), Washington D.C (Long car ride, and you were a champ), North GA mountains, Orange Beach, AL, Starkville, MS. I must say, 5 states in less than 12 months, “you go girl!”
6. I love every minute I get to read to you. I am realizing the older you get, that I should have spent 10 more minutes holding you, as you like to wiggle a lot more now and we don’t get a lot of rest time. Reading has turned into “mommy, let me show you the book. Let me turn (or rip) the pages”….And I promise, I’ll save every torn page too, because you did it!
7. Your glow when you swing. The first time we went to the park and I placed you in the baby swing, your face lit up. Then, as I pulled the seat, and let it glide through the air, you giggled the sweetest baby sound.
8. You love going on walks: In your stroller, your wagon, your tricycle, on your daddy’s shoulders. Being outside is your happy place.
9. I thought at one time you would never eat real food. At 6 months, we introduced you to avocados and sweet potatoes. You wore more food than you ate. We sat you on the back porch in your seat because you were a hot mess. I found sweet potatoes behind your ears, in between your toes, on your nose, in your hair….pretty much everywhere but your mouth. BUT, by 8 months, you would have never known that there was a time you didn’t take kindly to food. You turned a corner and began to eat everything! At one, you’re over baby food and just eat mommy and daddy’s food. Your first big girl meal was a kids meal from Chick-fil-a (grilled nuggets, apple sauce & milk)
10. You started taking steps at 10 months, and by 1 you could walk from one side of your room to the other, with the prize being the safety of mommy or daddy’s arms. You get really excited when you walk by yourself, so excited that you lose balance and laugh all the way to floor. It’s the cutest! (and I kind of don’t want you to really walk, because you’ll stop doing that)
In closing, Reagan, I pray you always cherish the time with your (un)cool parents. We promise to always put your needs before our own. We will guide you, take care of you, and show you the best example of love we know how. As our precious gift, you will always be valued. We aren’t perfect parents, but I promise we try really hard to instill good values and lead by example. We appreciate that you love us. When you open your arms to us or get a huge smile when you see us, my heart skips a beat. I think to myself “there is someone in the world that needs me and wants me.” You fill me up with happy!
Reagan, you are full of life and full throttle. You are my energetic, social, playful explorer. You love to figure things out. We don’t get a lot of snuggle time these days, as that is time you may actually have to sit still (and that is not your style). Your smile lights up a room and your laugh makes me laugh. You climb and crawl and walk and roll. You are my sweet little monkey.
Your mommy and daddy are so proud that you are our girl! Happy birthday sweetheart. We love you more than you will ever know. Praying a life full of birthdays, love and laughter for you!!!!
Mommy & Daddy
PS: Reagan, because you are so fun, sweet, and lovable we thought it would be fun to have another one. Happy Birthday Reagan….You’re going to be a BIG SISTER!!!!